A little about me. . .

I am a proud mother of two beautiful boys. I have a stepson, who is like my own son. I have helped raise him since he is three. He is a sweet, wonderful, smart boy that is very difficult. He is now in fifth grade and has only had two teachers that really understood him. These two teachers have made such a difference in his life. He really loves and respects them for taking the time and having the patience to understand. him. I also have a four year old son. He is the exact opposite of his brother. He is always happy. He is also a people pleaser. He follows the rules and hardly ever needs correcting. When necessary a little scolding will do. This experience has proven to me that the old adage "the parents don't care" or "all he needs is a spanking", isn't always the truth. My husband and I have tried everything and our oldest son is still a challenge. Sometimes I think that this will be very beneficial to him as an adult. In his mind, the only reason he has a difficult time in school is because he has to do things on someone else's terms. If he could do what he wants, when he wants, he would have no problems. I am putting in all of this information for all you you to know that I understand the battles that parents face when trying to raise and educate children. I have had my share of experience with bad teachers and certainly know what not to do. I also know how much pain this causes the children and their families. I truly have a love for all children and only want what is best for them. I have wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a little girl. I feel blessed and lucky to be able to teach now. I remember the teachers that changed my life and I want to do the same for someone else's child.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

As an educator I plan to . . .

As an educator, I plan to bring excitement and encouragement into the classroom. I have been in many classrooms, and have seen many students that seem bored and discouraged. I plan to have a different approach to the "problem child". I think that positive reinforcement goes a long way with elementary students when you are trying to redirect their frustrations. Many children are bored in the classroom. It is boring sitting in a desk for most of the day inside a building. I understand this, and that children need to run around and scream and do what they want to do for a little while everyday. I will not expect my students to be robots. I couldn't succeed in such and environment and don't expect my students to do so either. I feel that I am meant for special education because I act like some of the students. That is not a bad thing, I think that it is pretty cool.

No comments: