A little about me. . .

I am a proud mother of two beautiful boys. I have a stepson, who is like my own son. I have helped raise him since he is three. He is a sweet, wonderful, smart boy that is very difficult. He is now in fifth grade and has only had two teachers that really understood him. These two teachers have made such a difference in his life. He really loves and respects them for taking the time and having the patience to understand. him. I also have a four year old son. He is the exact opposite of his brother. He is always happy. He is also a people pleaser. He follows the rules and hardly ever needs correcting. When necessary a little scolding will do. This experience has proven to me that the old adage "the parents don't care" or "all he needs is a spanking", isn't always the truth. My husband and I have tried everything and our oldest son is still a challenge. Sometimes I think that this will be very beneficial to him as an adult. In his mind, the only reason he has a difficult time in school is because he has to do things on someone else's terms. If he could do what he wants, when he wants, he would have no problems. I am putting in all of this information for all you you to know that I understand the battles that parents face when trying to raise and educate children. I have had my share of experience with bad teachers and certainly know what not to do. I also know how much pain this causes the children and their families. I truly have a love for all children and only want what is best for them. I have wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a little girl. I feel blessed and lucky to be able to teach now. I remember the teachers that changed my life and I want to do the same for someone else's child.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What materials I would like to use. . .

I think that if you can see, smell, hear, taste, and touch you learn more. I will have as many hands on activities or teaching lessons that I can imagine. Art and science can be really fun for autistic children if planned correctly. As with all activities, children do not like to wait. Well planned activities can be very educational and exciting for students and the teacher alike.

No comments: